- chocolate cake
- 1 can buttercream frosting
- green & orange food coloring
*I’ll admit, I got lazy and bought a cake mix and frosting. If you want to make homemade chocolate cake and buttercream frosting, there is a great recipe here.
- Bake your chocolate cake.
- Once the cake is completely cooled, crumble it into a large bowl.
- Add butter cream frosting to the cake crumbs. You may not need to add the whole can. Just start by adding 2 heaping tablespoons at a time. The consistency of the cake should end up being soft and able to roll into soft (yet sturdy) balls.
- Roll cake into evenly sized balls. You can make them as big or as small as you want.
- Melt your candy melts.
- Dip each cake ball into the melted chocolate, covering them completely in chocolate.
- Let the chocolate harden.
- With your extra frosting, set a little aside and put green food coloring in it. With the rest, put orange food coloring in it.
- Decorate the cake balls with faces using the orange frosting. With the green frosting, add a dollop on top of the balls for the “stem”.
- Let cool and harden
I LOVE Halloween and I had so much fun making these cake balls! Theydefinitely didn’t turn out perfectly round and smooth like I wanted them to, but hey they still tasted amazing! – and they looked pretty Halloweenie so that’s all I was really going for.
I first tried to melt white chocolate with orange food coloring, and I was going to dip the cake calls in that. But, WARNING, do NOT substitute white chocolate or regular chocolate for the candy melts!! Use candy melts!! If you use regular chocolate chips, they will harden too quickly and it will turn into a big mess (at least it did for me!). I went to the store and got candy melts after I tried (and failed) using white chocolate. I really wanted to find white chocolate or orange candy melts, but I only found regular chocolate. It turned out to be fine and my cake bites still looked cute!
I hope you try out this recipe!